Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Day 7, 5/17/11 - Up around the head

The first time a local told us he live on "the neck" we wondered what in the Heck he was talking about! But if you look at a map of Maui, you will see she looks like a woman's head and torso, with the head on the western end, nose facing south.

Anyway, this morning, after another lazy morning of sipping coffee and people watching from our balcony, we went to Honokowai Okazuya, the best take out gourmet on the island. Ronnie had the salmon in Thai chili sauce with rice and stirfried veggies, and I had Ono in lemon caper sauce with mushrooms and sun dried tomatoes with the same sides. We took our booty to a beachside park and dined with the waves. Could only eat half. Leftovers later, YUM!

We decided to drive up around the head, past Kapalua, Honolua (renowned surf spot) and on over to Kahakuloa, where the cliffside road narrows to single lane. We've been all the way around, but today didn't feel like it so turned back, just to run into three cars coming the other way. We had to back up the outside lane until we found a space barely large enough to pass. I finally got out to help Ronnie know where the tires were in relation to the cliff edge. Should have taken a picture, but was too preoccupied. Wasn't long before we got back to the 2-lane. Reminded us of the hairy road to the pack station where Ron used to work, only that is 18 miles of seemingly endless single lane twists and turns.

The sunset is from yesterday. I can't seem to get my pics to stay in order...sigh!









2 comments:

  1. Yea for Honokowai Okazuya! I remember how delicious everything is from there!

    I shudder to think of how it must have been to have to back up along the outside of the road, along the cliff. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I asked Shell to get out to watch my wheels is all you need to know. Ronnie

    ReplyDelete